Hanover SafeTeen Program
Hanover SafeTeen is a group of programs that educate a new teen driver and help give parents peace of mind while their teens are on the road. Both parents and their new driver can benefit from the safety, education, rewards and savings Hanover SafeTeen offers for responsible driving.
Educate with our teen driver safety course
This driving safety course is designed to help inexperienced drivers improve their driving skills and is proven to help reduce accidents by up to 30 percent once completed.
Plus, as long as your teen successfully completes the program, you enjoy the benefits of a discount on your auto policy.
Educate - How it works
Sign up for the program with your independent insurance agent by asking for the TeenSMART® driver safety program. The discount is added to your policy, and you will be emailed a link to access the online course on your computer
- The course is approximately six to eight hours long, and can be completed at your teen's own pace.
- At the end of the training, your teen will need to successfully pass the final exam in order to receive their certification. This provides confirmation of completion for your agent.
- Your teen needs to successfully complete the program within 60 days or the discount will be removed from the policy.
Want more information? Read our TeenSMART brochure and talk to your independent insurance agent.(Discount added after successful completion of the course.)
Coach with our teen driver mobile app
This app tracks a teen's driving habits and provides an overall score based on distracted driving, speed, hard braking and more.
With helpful tips on how to improve scores, Amazon rewards for safe driving behaviors and a discount on your Hanover auto policy, your teen will be on the right path in no time.
(Discount not available in New York.)
Coach - How it works
- Sign up for the SmartPath mobile app through your independent insurance agent.
- The discount is added to your policy. The parent will get an email directing them to sign up for My Hanover Policy.
- Select “SmartPath” on the left-hand side of My Hanover Policy. Under “SmartPath”, select "Drivers & Enrollment".
- You’ll see drivers associated with your auto policy. Select your teen and enter their cell phone number to invite them to download the SmartPath app on their phone. Your teen will be sent a text with a link to download the app.
- Tracking begins once the location option is activated on your teen's phone.
- You will get a dashboard view of all driving activities on My Hanover Policy.
- The teen's driving behavior is calculated based on a number of factors, including hard braking, time of day, speeding and distraction and results in an overall driving score.
- If the teen earns a green overall driving score, they will receive Amazon rewards via email.
Want more information? Read our SmartPath mobile app brochure and talk to your independent insurance agent.
Protect with our safe teen deductible option
When the Hanover SafeTeen deductible is added to vehicles that aren't usually driven by a teen, you can save money and protect your vehicles.
With a discount on the parent's policy, teens get one more reason to drive their car and not yours. The choice is yours.
(Discount not available in Virginia.)
Protect - How it works
- Speak with your independent insurance agent about the ParentChoice deductible option.
- Select the vehicles that your teen won't frequently drive*, and add the ParentChoice deductible of $2,500 on those vehicles.
- The additional $2,500 deductible is applied to the comprehensive and collision deductible in the event of a loss on the selected vehicles only when driven by a teen driver.
*ParentChoice deductible can be added to any vehicle on the policy.
Want more information? See our ParentChoice page and talk to your independent insurance agent.
Looking for more ways to save?
We've been helping parents of teen drivers save money on their policy for a long time, with our good student away discount and our student away from home discount for your drivers off at college.
Plus, with the Hanover Family Discount, you can save even more on your policy when your youthful driver leaves your policy and gets their own account with The Hanover.
What our customers are saying
Listen to how one of our customers feels about SmartPath's easy-to-understand format with rewarding incentives to drive safe on the road.
- Do I have to apply all of these teen driver discounts, or may I choose them "á la carte"?
You are free to select the options that make the most sense for your family, or you may also apply them all.
- Will I need to pay for any of these teen driver programs or apps?
No, each program is offered complimentary to your family.
- What long-term commitment is required of either myself or my teen driver(s) related to SafeTeen?
SafeTeen requires either completion or continued participation in the program(s) in question to receive discounts. However, you are free to cancel or rejoin each of these at any time.
- What are the age restrictions related to SafeTeen?
SafeTeen programs are available to drivers aged 16-19. Restrictions vary by state.
- Do I need a certain type of phone to work with the SmartPath program?
Most Apple and Android phones will work with the program without any challenges as long as they have GPS location and some additional technology needed. If you have any challenges please reach out to your agent.
* Coverage and availability vary by state.
Additional teen driver resources
- Teen driving behaviors
- Talking to your teen about driving
- Choosing the right car for your teen driver
- Are you setting a good example for your teen driver?
- Teen driving by the numbers
Are you ready to have the talk?
Contact your independent agent today to learn more about the ways that The Hanover can help you save money when you add a teen driver to your policy.